Saturday, July 19th 2014
The origins of the Festival of the Redentore go back to 1576, when a temple was
built in honour of Christ the Redeemer ("Redentore") to drive out the plague which
was crushing the city. The church of the Redentore was built on Giudecca to a
design by Andrea Palladio.
At sunset, boats decorated with coloured balloons converge on Bacino S. Marco.
An abundant dinner based on traditional Venetian dishes is eaten on board.
The illuminated shore and balconies of the mansions are thronged with a great
crowd to watch the firework display which lasts 45 minutes.
The program for Redentore 2014 will be shortly available